WILL THE CHILD HAVE CF?

0

Probability of producing a child with CF:

  • IF: Both parents have CF THEN: 100% chance child will have CF.
     
  • IF: One parent has CF, the other is *not* a carrier THEN: 0% chance child will have CF (barring the very unlikely event of spontaneous mutation); 100% chance child will be a carrier.
     
  • IF: One parent has CF, the other is a carrier THEN: 50% chance that child will have CF; 50% chance that child will be a carrier.
     
  • IF: Both parents are carriers THEN: 25% chance that child will have CF; 50% chance that child will be a carrier; 25% chance that child will not have CF or be a carrier.
  • NOTE 1 – the chance of any one child having CF or being a carrier is as shown above; the presence or absence of previous or subsequent children from one or both parents has *NO EFFECT WHATSOEVER* on these chances.

    NOTE 2 – No carrier has CF.

    NOTE 3 – These chances of having CF or being a carrier have *NOTHING* to do with the severity of the symptoms suffered by someone with CF.